Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Design 2228 & C1 - Saudade II & Pinta II


Two identical sisters were built to this design for repeat customers for the German Admiral's Cup Team of 1975. The boats were constructed of aluminum by the yard of Walter Huisman of Vollenhove, Holland. I apologize that we don't have any photographs of these nice looking boats.

Here is the general arrangement Plan.


Principal Dimensions
LOA 51'-2"
LWL 36'-10"
Beam 13'-10"
Draft 7'-7"
Displacement 27,902 lbs
Ballast 16,700 lbs
Sail Area 1,012 sq ft

6 comments:

  1. maybe there are a couple of pictures in the shipyard's 125-year anniversary book. will check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. please check http://www.desaudade.nl/ as a dutcher myself I red an article about this coupple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for this link. But, I believe the boat owned by this Dutch couple is the S&S Design #2140 which was a 47 foot Saudade and was the outstanding boat of the 1973 Admiral's Cup (sailed by the German team). I raced on the 47 foot version in the US from 1974 into 1976.

      Delete
    2. PINTA II has since long changed her name into "Traité de Rome", has made two round the world journeys and is now in Greek waters and in fairly good shape. Of course I have plenty of photos to send to anybody interested ...

      Delete
  3. What about Duva and Rubin, which I believe were based on this design but modified by Burmester and the owners to incorporate their own rating ideas. I understand 46 tank models were used before the final design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Saudade operated later under the name "Steinbeißer II". I don't know if she still sails

    ReplyDelete